Thursday, April 29, 2010

Help Children In Poverty

I am Very Passionate about wanting to Help Children In Poverty, Children Living In Poverty.

I heard the Call last year - feeling Inspired to visit and support Children and Communities living in impoverished countries.

This Call seemed out of the ordinary, certainly without explanation, perhaps without logic - especially since there are other Causes that are very close to my heart - and also because I have never travelled before, and rather than being excited or motivated to go on a traditional holiday - here I am wanting to pay money to volunteer to be with the children.  It makes a lot of sense in that I love children - I just LOVE CHILDREN - yet, at my age I "should" just be focusing on having my own children, which is also a wonderful dream for me.  I can't wait to have my own baby - that will be my greatest dream come true.  And I still want to Make A Difference in the world.  It would not be easy for me to just live my life, without Consciousness or ACTION.

The Call is becoming stronger and stronger - especially after studying Vision and Purpose at College.   Normally I would race and make plans and work out a checklist to make this happen - using my head and getting action plans in place.  Yet now I am learning a new way of being in the world - allowing myself to just go with the flow and see where the Journey leads.  I am showing up and I am asking for God and the Universe to guide me.  This Project desires my Yin and Yang to work together as the creative force for the Greater Good.

I have been designing my Flyer for my Coaching business and I have included the statement - "Active in supporting children and communities in impoverished communities".  For every Coaching Session I will donate $5 towards charity.  It is a start.  I also have plans for my Spread The Yellow business - products and services - where money will also be donated to Help The Children Living In Poverty.

As well as donating money, in my heart I am also Inspired to visit the children and communities and volunteer my time.  This Call is strong for me.  My Yin is intuitively being guided, and then an 'Aha' moment came a few days ago and my Yang goes into action.  I had an idea, an insight, a remembering where university students go to impoverished communities - Yin heard her intuition - Yin got her Yang to Google "students volunteer travel" - and I am EXCITED - I find some great Projects where I can volunteer for 2 weeks.  Community work with children in Sangklaburi, Thailand, organised through STA Travel, catches my eye - I look into the eyes of these children in the photo and feel drawn to be in Thailand.


These are the words about the Project on the STA website "Enjoy working with children and want to help improve their lives?  Do you want to help children in a stunning part of Thailand who are not getting the care and attention they so deserve? This project helps the staff at care homes that are drastically underfunded and where the staff are overstretched and therefore greatly need any help that you can give them. You will be able to make a massive difference to these children’s lives by giving them support, playing games with them and teaching them English. All of which will give not only the children but the community as a whole a promising future to come." YES  YES  YES  YES!!

I look up the Calendar of Terms for College - we finish College on 30 August and go back to College on 20 September - there is availability from 4 September for 2 weeks.  I feel Very Inspired.

Rather than race to book this tour I decide to just sit with this idea (at least for a couple of weeks) - yet I am Excited.

And then today while sitting at home, watching the Channel 9 morning show which is unusual for me, normally I watch Channel 7 - I see an advertisement for 'Plan' - helping children and communities.  I haven't heard of Plan - yet I have been frequently visiting websites of World Vision, Oxfam, Tear Australia, Save The Children to see all the work that is being done and how I can get involved or if I would look at donating to their Projects.  And then today I learn about 'Plan' - glad my Yin was paying attention.  I am very Excited to learn about Plan, and my Yang is active in exploring their website - "About Plan - Plan is one of the oldest and largest children's development organisations in the world. We work with communities in 49 developing countries and raise funds to support our work in 21 countries like Australia. By actively involving children, and working at a grassroots level with no religious or political agenda, we unite and inspire people around the globe to transform the world for children."

When I read their website - there are some key paragraphs that really stand out for me:
- "Child centred community development is the term we use to describe how we aim to do our development work. It's a rights based approach to development where we support communities to develop the structures and skills they need to provide a safe and healthy environment in which children are able to realise their full potential.  It is our belief, based on many years of experience, that this can be achieved only if children’s best interests are at the heart of everything we do and if children themselves actively participate in the process."  As a Coach, I love the words they use - Community, Development, Support, Children are able to realise their Full Potential - and I love that children are actively involved - they are being given the tools for their own Empowerment, realising and releasing their own power within.

- "Children are the hardest hit by poverty.  Childhood is the most crucial development period in an individual’s life. It is when an individual’s main physical, mental, emotional and social development and growth takes place. Damage at this stage cannot be overcome later in life, and poor children are likely to pass poverty onto their children, perpetuating the cycle. Poverty reduction must begin with children."

- "Poverty alleviation generally tries to increase income at a household level. Children, though, exist within households and usually have the least power and influence on how income is spent. This is particularly true for girls. Poor households often have to cut back on expenses for children and frequently are forced to rely on sending the children to work. Battling with extreme poverty every day often leaves adults too busy and exhausted to properly nurture children. To combat child poverty we need to consider the impact poverty is having on children in poor families."

What I also Love about Plan is that you can not only Sponsor children and communities but you can also organise to visit the communities, organised through Plan - this is wonderful - to see the difference your sponsorship is making in their world.  I also love that they encourage fundraising activities - which I will embrace through my Spread The Yellow business to increase awareness and donate funds to Make A Difference.

I feel so Grateful that I am open to the gifts from the Universe - increasing my Awareness and my Yin intuitively being guided to opportunities where I CAN Help The Children Living In Poverty.  I know that my Family will say that I "should" just be focusing on getting married and having my own children - and this is also important to me - and I cannot ignore this Call - "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." (Helen Keller)