Friday, April 30, 2010

Scents of Summer



The art of making perfumes began in ancient Egypt and was further refined by the Romans and Persians. In ancient times people used herbs and spices as well as flowers. A Persian doctor and chemist introduced the process of extracting oils from flowers by means of distillation, the procedure most commonly used today. Raw ingredients and distillation technology significantly influenced western perfumery and scientific developments. In 2005, archaeologists uncovered what are believed to be the world's oldest perfumes in Pyrgos, Cyprus. The perfumes date back more than 4,000 years, and were discovered in an ancient perfumery. At least 60 stills, mixing bowls, funnels and perfume bottles were found in the 43,000-square-foot factory.



What is Perfume? It's a mixture of fragrant essential oils and aroma compounds used to give the human body, a pleasant scent.



Perfume is described in a musical metaphor as having three sets of notes, making the harmonious scent accord. The notes unfold over time, with the immediate impression of the top note leading to the deeper middle notes, and the base notes gradually appearing as the final stage. These notes are created carefully with knowledge of the evaporation process of the perfume.





  • Top notes: The scents that are perceived immediately on application of a perfume. Top notes consist of small, light molecules that evaporate quickly. They form a person's initial impression of a perfume.

  • Middle notes: The scent of a perfume that emerges just prior to when the top notes dissipate. The middle note compounds form the "heart" or main body of a perfume and act to mask the often unpleasant initial impression of base notes, which become more pleasant with time.
  • Base notes: The scent of a perfume that appears close to the departure of the middle notes. The base and middle notes together are the main theme of a perfume. Base notes bring depth and solidity to a perfume. Compounds of this class of scents are typically rich and "deep" and are usually not perceived until 30 minutes after application.

The scents in the top and middle notes are influenced by the base notes, as well the scents of the base notes will be altered by the type of fragrance materials used as middle notes. Manufacturers of perfumes usually publish perfume notes and typically they present it as fragrance pyramid, with the components listed in imaginative and abstract terms.

THE FRAGRANCE WHEEL




For those who know me, then you are aware of my obsession with perfumes. I even worked in the perfume department of Dillard's, where I obtained tons and tons of bottles of the newest releases. I don't really have a "signature scent", because I like variety. I prefer smelling like a piece or fruit, maybe with a slight floral scent. I do not typically gravitate towards woodsy or spicy - it's just not for me. If I can leave the house everyday smelling good enough to eat, then I'm happy! :-)




Here are my picks!





Ok, so my family totally rags me for being a Britney fan, but I don't care...I love her! And I absolutely adore all of her perfumes. I'm not exaggerating, but EVERY TIME I wear one of her fragrances, random people stop me and ask what it is! And it's not surprise because this one was honored by the Fragrance Foundation as Best Women's Fragrance. She has sold over 700 million bottles of this fragrance worldwide and it is her most successful perfume. Overall she has sold over 1 billion bottles of perfume (and I've bought all of them at least 2x). So there, everyone loves Brit Brit!


"Curious" by Britney Spears $60
The fragrance is a white floral scent. Its notes are Louisiana magnolia (an ode to Britney's stomping ground), golden Anjou pear, lotus flower, tuberose, star jasmine, pink cyclamen, vanilla-infused musk, sandlewood and blonde woods.











I'm a big fan of Jessica Simpson shoes and purses - I think they absolutely rock! So when I was in florida for vacation 2 years ago, I found this super-sweet scent at the Rosemary Beach mall, and had to buy it! Every time I wear it, it remember being at that beach,

"Fancy" by Jessica Simpson $75
This is considered an oriental vanilla fragrance. Top notes are pear, apricot and red berries; middle notes are gardenia, jasmine, almond and caramel; base notes are sandalwood, vanilla and amber.









Ok, so I purchased this scent LONG BEFORE the guidos of Jersey Shore knew about the tattoo-inspired California clothing line! No one had even heard of Ed Hardy at this point, but thought it was a really cool bottle and I loved the fruity smell.

"Love Kills Slowly" by Ed Hardy $75
This is a fruity floral with notes of apple soufflé, mango, wild strawberry, rudy red grapefruit, freesia petals, watery muguet, linden blossom, warm amber, musk, tonka bean and vanilla pudding.










I fell in love with this citrus scent when I smelled it on my former salon boss. At this time, no department store around Nashville sold it. But I found it at Opry Mills Mall and have purchased a total of 3 bottles because I love the clean and fresh smell of it!

"Light Blue" by Dolce & Gabbana $65
Combines lively Sicilian cedar with the freshness of Granny Smith Apples, and the flora allure and sponataneity of the bluebell. The freshness of bamboo softened with the intensity of jasmine and the charm of white rose. Fuses citron wood and sensual amber and the delicate caress of musk.







Now this scent was by a brand I had never heard of, Bvlgari. But when a friend (former Miss Venezuela) recommened it to me, I really came to love the soft sweetness of it! My loser exboyfriend bought me my 1st bottle of Bvlgari, but that's besides the point - I still like it!

"Bvlgari" by Bvlgari $125

This is classified as a refined, floral fragrance.
This feminine scent possesses a blend of violet, orange blossom, and jasmine.


Now, no matter what your favorite scent it, everything smells different once it's had time to mesh with your own skin chemistry. What smells great on one person, may not come off the same on someone else. It's best to test a scent for at least 30 minutes [on your skin, not one of those fragrance cards] to determine if you like it or not. Spray onto wrists, dab onto ear loboes, or spritz and walk into stream - do not rub the perfume into your skin. Doing so crushes the signature notes and doesn't give the scent it's true value.