Friday, May 27, 2011

Of Despots and Tyranny



 I work with a tyrant.

No, 'with' is the wrong preposition; it implies some degree of mutual recognition and co-operation. 
I work around a tyrant.

In our small dictatorship, This Person (henceforth referred to as TP) 
pretty much has total control. 
Of everything.


TP has never heard of the word 'delegate'. In spite of having been to a number of management best practice courses and workshops, TP's methods would make up a substantial list of 'What Not To Do As A Manager'.


The List:
  • total control over all systems. if TP is ever run over by a bus, there are some areas of the 'state' which no-one else knows the workings of. Or the way in or out.
  • using personal guile and charms to get one's own way, eg flirting with members of the opposite sex.
  • bursting into tears when things don't go one's way, or when someone complains to the boss.
  • interrupting and putting people down at meetings.
  • publicly telling people off in front of other employees - or worse, in front of clients or members of the public.
 I could go on and on - but you get the picture, I suspect.
                                                      

We experience the results of this tyranny on a small scale, 
but it gives us an idea of what people in larger despotic states must feel:
  1. We feel undervalued. I know I am good at my job, that I am efficient and capable - but TP can make me feel useless.
  2. We lose heart. What is the point of trying to improve/suggest ideas, if ideas are pooh-poohed or not even acknowledged?
  3. We suffer from general malaise and loss of morale: what used to be a happy staff is an angry, frustrated, and in some cases fearful, staff.
Enough ranting. Happy Saturday.


Images from hereherehere, here and here.